Thursday, July 5, 2012

Book Review: The Kid Who Climbed Everest: The Incredible Story of a 23-Year-Old's Summit of Mt. Everest By Bear Grylls


Well readers (if you even exist) I’m going to be working on catching up on my book reviews. I’m waaaaay behind. But, what the heck, this is my blog and nobody gives me feedback. So naturally I’m left to assume that everyone loves me and you’re basking in the glow of my wonderfully written posts.

So without further ado let’s take it all the way back to September and take a look at this awesome Bear Grylls book.


First things first, how manly is that name! Bear Grylls (pronounced “bear grills”). It just rolls off the masculine tongue (do not search this term on Google!). This book is part of a series of books that my friends and I get together to discuss roughly every month. Originally it we called ourselves the “Broadly Thinking Christian Men” that title being too unwieldy we settled on calling the group “Thinking Man.” But the philosophy remains the same; read books in a wide variety of genres and consider the impact on us as Christian men.

I hear you saying, “that was a pointless aside” but I assure it wasn’t. So we get back to the point. When one member of our group picked this I didn’t have high hopes. But to my surprise this book was an excellent read both for entertainment value and conversation points. Grylls (better known as the host of Man vs. Wild) recounts his story as the youngest British person to every climb Mount Everest. Almost every part of this story was exciting and well written. Everything from Grylls trying to raise the necessary funds to go to Nepal to all the dangers that befell him and his fellow climbers as they sought to stand on the highest point on earth was written in a concise and exciting manner.

Most fascinating were the little details about climbing Everest that I’d never thought about. For example, you don’t climb Everest in one shot. Grylls and his friends had to go up and down numerous times before they were ready to reach the top. Other details like where they camped, how helpful the Sherpa were, and contests about urinating (seriously) were nice touches that made Grylls and his friend more relatable and likeable.


How does it help me be a Man?

The answer to the above question, much to my surprise was “a lot of ways.” I think that number one is the fact the Grylls is humbled by the task of climbing Everest. Initially his optimism leads him to believe that he’s simply going to go to Nepal and climb the mountain. But he hits a road block right away when he isn’t able to find any sponsors due to the fact that he’s 22 years old. Even on the mountain he is humbled by how difficult the mountain is to climb. Grylls learns his lessons well and doesn’t drown in despair. Rather, he acknowledges that he can only try as hard has he possibly can and see the chips land where they may.
Furthermore, he gives credit where credit is due. He understands that even with this training he accomplished his amazing feat because of those around him, some good luck, and a higher power granting him success when all seemed hopeless.

Did you realize the same is true for us? You may have worked hard to get your job but have you stopped to consider that you had nothing to do with being born with the brain that makes you good at your job? I think that is an important lesson exemplified in this book. We can work hard and use our gifts but ultimately we need to be humbled by that fact that many of our “gifts” are just that, gifts. We didn’t earn them they were given to us.

There are other great lessons about toughness, bravery, and friendship.


Recommendation

I highly recommend that you pick this up from the library. It’s a good book but unless you really love Bear Grylls or mountain climbing there isn’t going to be much impetus to pick it up again. This is a great manly read about accomplishing a difficult task.

2 comments:

  1. Should I not Google search Bear Grylls or Masculine Tongue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't search "masculine tongue!" I thought I would see what turns up to add a hilarious pic but let's just say the pics I found were distinctly NOT hilarious.

      Delete